Y&R would like to thank the South African National Blood Service for their ongoing commitment to their quarterly Blood Drives at our Jozi Office.
During our most recent Blood Drive, we had a 300% increase in donors from January 2013—well done, Y&R team! Thanks for taking time out of your hectic schedules to give back since every unit of blood has the possibility to save lives.
Although no casualties were reported, staff were encouraged to eat their cookies and drink their juice to avoid a repeat of an incident last year where an agency copywriter fainted, leading to his nomination as “Hero of the Day”.
For those still contemplating donating for the first time, here are some assurances from the SANBS http://bit.ly/ZJrl66 :
- It is quite safe to donate blood with South African National Blood Service. Our personnel take the necessary safety measures to ensure that you don’t get a transmissible disease by donating blood.
- We use new, sterile and disposable equipment (blood bags, tubes and finger prick needle and other needles) for each donation.
- These are used only once for your blood donation, discarded in a specialised waste container and incinerated.
- Further assessments include a finger prick test in order to ascertain if your haemoglobin level is within a safe range for donation purposes. In addition, your pulse rate and blood pressure will be checked.
- You must also weigh at least 50kg or more, be between 16 and 65 of age and in good health.
- Potential donors will be permitted to donate only if these measurements are within the defined, acceptable range.
A challenge then, to encourage even more individuals to donate at the next Y&R Blood Drive.